Hydrogeology is the specialty area of geology that deals with the distribution and movement of groundwater in the soil and rocks of the Earth’s crust. The water is commonly found in aquifers.
Water supply and quality is a growing, global concern. Groundwater is a renewable resource in areas where recharge is higher than withdrawals. Due to increased pressure to supply water to growing populations, water resource professionals are challenged to provide solutions for generations to come.
The field of hydrogeology combines many aspects of science and engineering including geology, chemistry, physics, biology, soil science, mathematics, and computer applications.
The hydrogeologist plays a vital role in the planning, design, and implementation of many types of projects including groundwater resource conservation, development, and restoration for domestic, agricultural, and industrial purposes.
Groundwater engineering projects can involve dewatering of slopes, tunnels, and open excavations, as well as surface and underground mines. Delineation and remediation of contaminated aquifers involves sound and dedicated skills. This includes not only careful planning and compliance with regulations, but also requires consideration of surface water resources and a thorough understanding of the groundwater flow in porous and fractured media, recharge/discharge relationships, contaminant transport mechanisms, and well hydraulics.
The common thread for these areas of our services is respect for sustainable development and the environment.
Our services related to hydrogeology include design, installation, and testing of water wells for water supply or injection, including supplies for potable use, aquifer storage and recovery, and significant heat-exchange cooling projects. Here’s a list of our services in this practice area:
- Water balance studies
- Flow and contaminant transport modeling
- Obtaining Consumptive Use Permits and Underground Injection Control Permits
- Design, implementation, and operation of aquifer remediation systems
- Design and implementation of containment systems to prevent migration of contaminated groundwater
- Regional and local hydrogeology studies for environmental impact assessments
- Analyses of monitoring data and presentation of data for compliance with regulations
- Landfill design and monitoring services
- Design and operation of dewatering depressurization systems
- Studies of aquifer performance and productivity
- Design, installation, and maintenance of groundwater monitoring systems
Please contact us if we can be of assistance with your hydrogeology project needs.